Thursday, April 12, 2012

Steve Pemberton: Benidorm has made me love Spain

Steve Pemberton says filming 'Benidorm' has changed his opinion of the Spanish resort because he used to think it was full of "leery Brits abroad".

Steve Pemberton says filming 'Benidorm' has changed his opinion of the Spanish resort.

The 44-year-old actor - who plays Mick Garvey in the ITV1 comedy, which is set primarily in the all-inclusive Solona hotel complex - enjoys the relaxed nature of filming the programme in the coastal town, but he used to think it was full of "leery Brits abroad".

He said: "It's a tremendous show to film - everyone has a ball and the people are so nice. What could be better than turning up to work and sitting by a pool in the sunshine?

"People have great affection for Benidorm. It's not everyone's idea of a good time, and it would never have been mine before I went.

"There's a season when all the stag and hen parties go and that can be a little bit threatening but we film off-season and I've never seen a fight or leery 'Brits abroad' antics.

"There's no pretension about Benidorm. No one cares what they look like, they just let it all hang out and have a good time.

"I'm not a big party animal but I enjoy lying on a sun lounger by a pool like Mick but with a book, not a beer."

As well as starring in 'Benidorm', Steve started writing episodes for the fifth series - which concluded last Friday (06.04.12) - because it tied in well with his new exercise regime, which helped him shed two stone last year.

He added to the Daily Mirror newspaper: "I have regular check-ups. I lost two stone last year by dieting and taking up jogging.

"I was writing episodes of Benidorm and was finally able to manage my time to fit in the exercise."